Manhattan, NY – Pedestrian Struck and Killed on Lower East Side


    Manhattan, NY – A man was struck and killed by a car while crossing the street early Wednesday morning.

    56-year-old Harry Wieder, from the Lower East Side, was hit by a yellow cab at the intersection of Essex Street and Delancey Street. The driver stayed at the scene and police believed the incident was an accident.

    The patient was transported to Bellevue Hospital where he r”l passed away from his injuries.

    NYPD Highway units where on the scene for the accident investigation, and one lane remained closed until the Chesed Shell Emes volunteers were done with there post-accident cleanup.

    Follow VosIzNeias For Breaking News Updates is here to help you manage your home without the stress. Go to for recipes, menu planners, kids' activities, and more.


    1. About 10 years ago, my brother, was killed by a bus on Houston and Christie (on the lower East Side). The Chessed Shel Emet went way beyond what you would expect. They arranged with the City medical examiner to release the body for burial as soon as it came in. They did a lot of behind the scene work that made it easier for me to cope. Yasher Koach to them for all they do.

      My condolences to the family.

    2. #4 & #8 have given two totally different names – the guy who wasn’t killed must be freaking out. Don’t publish names (the yentas will find out soon enough, news travels fast) until the identity has been verified. It’s irresponsible & very distressing.

    3. i dont think those asking names mean it in a bad way. no need to reprimand them. its a curiousity thing.
      whoever nebech passed away the main thing to say is BDE.
      very sad

    4. received the following email……….
      Dear Friends and Colleagues,
      I have very unfortunate news. After tonight’s CB 3 General Meeting, Harry Wieder was struck and killed by a Taxi as he attempted to cross Essex St. in front of PS 20. He was surrounded by CB 3 members at the scene of the accident and some of us went to the hospital. He was taken to Bellevue, where the doctors attempted to resuscitate him.
      His mother arrived at the hospital via Hatzolah Ambulance Services from Queens. She is understandably distraught. There will be a funeral tomorrow afternoon or evening. I will send information as soon as I get it. I am sure there will be a memorial service at some point in the near future too.
      I will miss Harry terribly. He contributed so much to the Board and you could always count on him being at nearly every meeting. He loved serving the community and most of all fighting for it.
      Please feel free to forward this email.

      • Harry was a good man and a close friend of my family my god be with him for ever harry was there to help any person in the world any time he will be missed. By all of us


    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here