Coney Island, NY – Mother of Three Killed in Raging Apartment Fire

    3

    Shari Pasternak, 50, was trapped in her 22nd-floor Coney Island apartment when the fire broke out just before 7:30 a.m., officials said. Photo: NY daily news, MarinoConey Island, NY – A fast-moving fire tore through an apartment near the top of a Brooklyn high-rise early Friday, killing a mother of three, officials and neighbors said.

    Sura Rivka bas R’ Duvid Pasternak, 53, was trapped in her 22nd-floor Coney Island apartment when the fire broke out just before 7:30 a.m., officials said.

    The superintendent of her 460 Neptune Ave. building saw the smoke spilling from Pasternak’s apartment and climbed in through an adjoining terrace in a desperate attempt to save her.

    “I went in [and] as soon as I opened the terrace door to the apartment the smoke was so brown,” said Gilbert Martinez, 56.

    “It hit me like nothing I’d ever seen before,” said a shaken Martinez. “She must have been going through hell.”

    Martinez saw Pasternak in her charred bedroom but was forced to back out before he was overcome by the smoke.

    Firefighters arrived minutes later and pulled Pasternak from the choking smoke. She was rushed to Coney Island Hospital but died a short time later.

    The cause of the fire was not immediately known but the blaze did not appear to be intentionally set, FDNY investigators said. Fire marshals believe it started in Pasternak’s bedroom, which was completely blackened by the flames.

    Neighbors said Pasternak lived alone but received frequent visits from her two adult daughters.

    Though she was depressed after the death of her son from kidney disease, she always had a kind word for others in the building, her friends said.

    “She was a good person, very hard working, loved her family,” said Sol Cooperman, 65. “This is a tragedy.”

    No one else was injured in the fire, which was extinguished in about 45 minutes, according to the FDNY.

    Chesed Shel Emes was working with the Medical Examiners office to avoid bizoyon hames

    At the same time VIN News wants to remind everyone to check there smoke detectors batteries & install new ones if you don’t have any.

    Follow VosIzNeias For Breaking News Updates



    Entertaining Videos and Delicious Recipes on Kosher.com



    3 COMMENTS

    1. BDE. There was a raging fire on Staten Island around 3 AM with 5 people pulled alive by fire fighters. It has been a crazy week with fires everywhere. It’s new years, change your batteries on smoke and CO detectors even if you thing the batteries are working.

    LEAVE A REPLY

    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here