Lake Cowichan, Canada – Burglars who robbed a home on the weekend unknowingly stole rat poison stored in vodka bottle.
Lake Cowichan RCMP are worried the person or people who stole what they thought was vodka will drink it or give it to a third party.
The break-in happened at a home in the Hundred Houses area sometime between Friday night and Sunday while the residents were away for the weekend, RCMP Cpl. Krista Hobday said. The homeowners reported it upon their return Monday.
They alerted police that the rat poison — stored in a Smirnoff Vodka Red Label bottle in a kitchen cabinet next to other bottles of liquor — was taken along with other items.
The bottle containing the clear liquor was third-quarters full.
“It would appear to anyone looking at it that it was a regular bottle of vodka,” Hobday said.
Ingesting rat poison can cause vomiting, nausea, dizziness, weakness or even death.
RCMP arrested three teenagers after a break-in Saturday night on the same block. They suspect the youth are responsible for both break-ins but the group has refused to co-operate with police in locating the bottle of poison.
Police have notified the parents of the teens that the bottle contains a dangerous substance.
“They may have given it to someone else, who may be drinking what they think is pure vodka,” Hobday said.
Lake Cowichan RCMP are asking that the bottle be returned anonymously to the RCMP headquarters at 70 Stanley St. so they can dispose of the poison safely.
Hobday said it’s important for homeowners to store hazardous material in clearly marked bottles, possibly in a locked cabinet.