New York, NY – Got An Illegal Parking Ticket? The City Is Looking To Pay You Back


    FILE - A parking ticket issued by the NYPD is seen on a car in the Queens borough of New York January 7, 2015.REUTERSNew York, NY – In an unusual twist, New York City is actually trying to return money to motorists who were issued illegal $165 parking summonses.

    Councilman Vincent Gentile said he is working with the Finance Department and Comptroller Scott Stringer to determine how to refund monies to each motorist who was cited for parking in front of legal “mid-block curb cuts” or pedestrian ramps. In 2009, it was deemed legal to park in front of a curb cut which isn’t a crosswalk.

    According to a report in the New York Post (, the city collected over $4 million in parking summonses between August 2013 and the March 2016 from motorists who were parked at the legal curb cuts.

    The NYPD has said it is working to ensure its officers know not to issue these types of parking tickets. “The department sent a training message to all officers clarifying the rule change and has communicated to commanders of precincts with the highest number of summonses, informing them of the issues within their command,” the NYPD said in a statement.

    But Councilman Gentile said this strategy is insufficient. “All precinct commanders need to be made aware and make the announcement at roll call and traffic enforcement agents need to be told also. I’m going to make sure they do this,” Gentile said.

    Follow VosIzNeias For Breaking News Updates


    1. I paid for this type of ticket when I parked near Shulamis in Flatbush. I even sent in a letter explaining that it’s not a crosswalk but I had to pay anyway.

    2. צוריק גייט א קאזע

      In English: “nothing goes back”

      NYPD is very aggressive in collecting summonses for some reason they don’t know how to return the money they took illegally. Let them pay back with interest just like if you pay them late the fees start accumulating.


    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here