The blaze took place at 3 Paksh Place, with firefighters arriving shortly before 2 AM to find a fully involved fire tearing through the building’s roof.
Kiryas Joel Fire Cheif Shea Blumenthal said that the fire was caused by unattended candles in a succah built on a second story deck.
“The fire most probably caught the walls and the schach and then caught the succah on the third floor,” Blumenthal told VIN News. “From the third floor it went into the attic and got the whole roof.”
The Kiryas Joel Fire Department called in mutual aid, with crews responding from Monroe, Vails Gate, Washingtonville, Salisbury Mills, Woodbury and South Blooming Grove. Police teams from Goshen, Washingtonville, Chester and Salisbury Mills were also on scene according to the Orange and Rockland County Fire Facebook page.
The building has 12 apartments but a firewall kept the flames to the right side of the building, preventing the flames from spreading through the entire structure. Power and gas were cut to the entire building so residents of both sides of the property have been displaced until the building can be inspected and utilities can be safely restored.
“There is really big damage,” said Blumenthal. “The third floor is very bad and the second and third floor both have water damage.”
It took firefighters approximately 90 minutes to put out the flames and no injuries were reported.
The KJ EMS & KJFD Calls Twitter feed said that additional hot spots reignited this morning but Blumenthal said that the additional flare ups were quickly extinguished.