Police said that the fire was reported at 9:38 PM, with both 84 year old Dr. Ronald Landau and his 78 year old wife Linda transported to Queens General Hospital in Jamaica by first responders. Mrs. Landau died shortly after arriving at the hospital while her husband was treated for smoke inhalation.
The Daily News reported that Dr. Landau was downstairs in their 180th Street home when he saw sparks igniting. The fire apparently traveling up the wall to the second floor of the house, with thick smoke preventing Dr. Landau from reaching his wife who was upstairs.
Fire marshals said that the fire, which destroyed most of the couple’s home, was caused by a space heater with faulty wiring.
Mrs. Landau was the mother of two and had seven grandchildren.
A former teacher with the New York City public school system, Mrs. Landau celebrated her birthday just last week. Her late life foray into comedy had her entering the Jewish Week’s Best Jewish Comic Contest in 2010 and performing at venues including the Young Israel of Forest Hills and the Young Israel of Greater Miami.