Jerusalem – A 3-year old Charedi boy choked to death while playing in a playground sandbox in Kiryat Gat.
The toddler has been identified as Yechiel Mechel Herbst, apparently choked on sand when he and another child had placed in his mouth.
Attempts by emergency first responders and hospital staff to resuscitate him were unsuccessful, and the boy was ultimately declared dead.
Officials say a preschool teacher who noticed the boy exhibiting signs of distress called for emergency medical assistance.
“I got a phone call from a preschool teacher who said that one of the kids who was playing in the sandbox was feeling ill, and had told [her] that sand had gone into his mouth,” said United Hatzalah paramedic Haim Matzliah.
Matzliah, the first emergency medical responder to arrive at the scene, said the child had already passed out by the time he reached the school. MDA paramedics who treated the boy reported that he had was not breathing and had no heartbeat.
The boy was evacuated in critical condition by an MDA ambulance to Barzilai Hospital in Ashkelon, where he was pronounced dead shortly after arriving.
The family are members of the Belz community.