Brooklyn, NY – FDNY: Unattended Grill, Lack Of Smoke Detectors A Deadly Combination In Fatal BP Fire


    A Borough Park resident looks on with his Children at the burnt home where Chaim and Faigy Gluck died on Aug. 28, 2017. (Bill Farrington/, NY – The heartbreaking three alarm fire that took the life of a Brooklyn man and his wife as they slept in their home early Monday morning was a tragic and avoidable accident, according to the FDNY, which released results of its investigation this afternoon.

    FDNY officials said that the massive blaze that took the lives of 61 year old Chaim Gluck and his wife Faigy was started by a disposable charcoal barbeque grill that was left unattended on the wooden deck of the family’s Borough Park home.

    FDNY officials reported that there were no smoke detectors in the house to warn the family of the flames that ultimately made their way through the house and into the attic.

    As previously reported on VIN News (, the fire was reported at 3:47 AM and appeared to have been burning for a while by the time firefighters arrived at the scene.

    The Gluck’s only unmarried child, a 19 year old daughter, had sought safety on a fire escape after failing in her attempts extricate her parents from the house. She was rescued by firefighters and taken to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation, with five firefighters also requiring medical attention, according to an FDNY spokesperson.

    Assemblyman Dov Hikind called the tragic fire a wakeup call for the public, noting that it is easy to become complacent and not take note of the dangers all around us.

    He called on the public to take stock of their own homes, looking for possible dangers including unattended fires, placing burning objects such as grills and candles on flammable surfaces and making sure that electrical appliances are in safe places to avoid potential and avoidable injuries.

    “We all think that it is not going to happen to you, but even those one in a million things happen sometimes,” Hikind told VIN News. “Smoke detectors save lives. It’s that simple.”
    Funeral for Chaim and Faigy Gluck  who died in a fire at their home in Boro Park Brooklyn Aug. 28, 2017 (Stefano Giovannini/

    Below video: Funeral of Chaim and Faigy Gluck.

    Follow VosIzNeias For Breaking News Updates is here to help you manage your home without the stress. Go to for recipes, menu planners, kids' activities, and more.


    1. So all the YENTAS who were calling others names yesterday for daring to suggest everyone should have working smoke detectors and fire extinguishers should feel ashamed now.

      • Very simple.
        “started by a disposable charcoal barbeque grill that was left unattended on the wooden deck”
        They left it after having supper. Went to sleep. It continued to burn – even without flames, and caught the house on fire.
        Nebach very sad.

    2. We don’t need all of the Monday morning quarterbacks accessing blame, and blaming the victims. The couple’s children, are going to grieve over this tragic accident for the rest of their lives. Hence, they undoubtedly read this column. They don’t need all of the “fire experts”, expressing their nickel and dime opinions, at this time.

    3. No point of blaming victims. Everyone should see this as a lesson about the importance of having ‘working’ smoke detectors. Tragically a similar incident happened in Brooklyn not long ago.

    4. I find that the fire department is very quick to conclude there were no smoke detectors.
      It’s a very easy AND NON PROVABLE way for them to close an investigation . Remember the tragedy in Flatbush when they said the same thing and the father said that was a lie, they had working smoke detectors.

      • Sorry, but I don’t see why the fire department would want to lie about the absence of smoke detectors so I am going to believe them when they say there were none! In this latest tragedy, I simply do not believe three adults slept through a blaring smoke alarm. Here too, I will go with what the fire department tells me. We need to stop skirting the issue lest we add blame to hurt for it is important to prevent any more unbearable tragedy. Smoke alarms save lives!

    5. The FDNY is a disgrace. They are very good at blasting their sirens and waking people up in the middle of the night to get some doughnuts. But when just around the corner they can’t get there earlier enough to possibly save these people. They are overpaid unionized thugs. Once they get to the property they destroy everything and steal as well. Huge waste of taxpayer money. Firefighters should be volunteers or privatized.


    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here