Jerusalem – An Ali Express shipment turned out to be no bargain for a Beitar Illit family when four people who came into contact with an unknown powdery substance were hospitalized after reporting feeling dizzy and light headed.
United Hatzalah spokesperson Raphael Poch said that paramedics were called to the family home on HaRebbe M’Zvhil Street on Sunday afternoon.
A 47 year old mother, her 20 year old daughter, and two sons, ages 17 and seven, all reported feeling ill after two packages from a larger Ali Express order had been opened in the home.
Israel Fire and Rescue were called to clear the home of any lingering fumes and to investigate the powder which was later identified as magnesium carbonate.
According to the National Institute of Health, severe reactions to magnesium carbonate are extremely rare and most often occur through excessive intravenous doses of the compound and in very few instances after acute oral ingestion.
All four individuals were taken to Hadassah Ein Kerem Hospital and were then transferred to Shaare Zedek Medical Center where they were classified as being “lightly injured,”.